Skip to Navigation Skip to Content


2018-19 Heritage Grants Program recipients

This year, 22 projects were awarded heritage grants – 11 metropolitan and 11 regional projects, and a total of $1.222 million was allocated in funding.

Read the Minister's media statement here.

metropolitan 
St John's Fremantle St John's Anglican Church, Fremantle
 $87,812.04
Heritage Place No. 00844
Heritage Professional: A+A Macliver

Adjacent the Fremantle Town Hall, St John's in Fremantle has served the local Anglican Community for almost 140 years, standing over the site of its predecessor, which was built in 1843. The church employs random coursed limestone in its walls, with raised mortar pointing giving a distinctive appearance.

This year's funding will assist with the underpinning and repair of the collapsing north west corner of the church and assist with the replacement of rainwater goods for the building, ensuring it remains structurally stable and can continue to serve the local Anglican community for many years to come.

St John's Lutheran St John's Lutheran Church, Northbridge
 $14,340.00
Heritage Place No. 01943

Heritage Professional: Peter Baxendale Engineer

The first Lutheran Church built in WA, St John’s has served the Lutheran and wider community since its construction on Aberdeen Street in 1936. Built in the Inter-War Gothic style, the church was also the first building in Perth to make use of the orange-brown laterite stone from Darlington, which has been laid in random coursing in all exterior walls.

Continuing on the from the conservation management strategy completed in the 2016-17 funding round, this year's funding will be put toward structural engineering input to inform future repairs to significant cracking throughout the building.

Atlas Building Atlas Building, Perth  $50,000.00

Heritage Place No. 01975
Heritage Professional: To be confirmed

Nestled amongst many taller buildings on Perth's Esplanade is the four storey Atlas Building, an Inter-War Free Classical styled building, clad in Wunderlich's architectural terracotta. Enter the foyer of the building, and you will be taken back to the 1930's with fine styling and copper paneling reminiscent of the era dressing the foyer and lift.

With the lift car design and mechanisms past their best before date, funds offered this year will assist with the reinstallation of the unique lift car interior following refurbishment of the lift plant and car, ensuring visitors are safely carried up the building in style for many years to come.

Gledden Building Gledden Building, Hay Street Mall Perth  $50,000.00
Heritage Place No. 02002

Heritage Professional: Griffiths Architects

A landmark building located at the corner of the Hay Street Mall and William Street in Perth, the Gledden Building commenced construction in 1937 and was one of Perth's tallest buildings. It is the only high-rise Inter-War Art Deco office building in Perth and was built with a basement restaurant, two level shopping arcade, office accommodation and a rooftop lookout. It remains in use as office and retail space today, although the basement and rooftop are no longer accessible to the public.

Unfortunately the art deco construction is susceptible to concrete cancer, with the façade showing evidence of this in cracking and spalling concrete. Continuing last year's efforts to restore the west facade, this year will see the north facade restored ensuring the art deco beauty of this landmark continues to stand the test of time.

St Albans ChurchImage credit: Diocese of Perth St Alban's Church, Highgate
 $13,182.80

Heritage Place No. 02178
Heritage Professional: Stephen Carrick Architects

Built in the late 1800s, Saint Alban's Anglican Church was built on Beaufort Street, Highgate in the Victorian Romanesque style and is one of the earliest remaining buildings designed by prominent Perth architect Lieutenant General Sir Joseph John Talbot Hobbs. At the time he was a relatively inexperienced architect, but the simplicity of the design also owes to the economic and social conditions of Perth at the time.

Although the building takes a relatively simple style, the ornate stained glass windows are in dire need of attention, with funds this year assisting in their conservation, and also helping toward a conservation management strategy to guide future conservation works and general building maintenance.

Catherine McAuley Stables Stables - Catherine McAuley Centre, Wembley
 $81,350.00
Heritage Place No. 02231
Heritage Professional: Bernard Seeber Pty Ltd Architects

A member of the award winning Catherine MacAuley Centre, the former Benedictine Stables began construction in 1858, and are one of very few historic agrarian buildings remaining in the Perth metropolitan area. They are the only building on the site that date from the early occupation of the site by the Benedictine Monks who founded New Norcia, Australia's only monastic town, and who also contributed to the development of Subiaco.

After some preliminary works to control damp problems around the building, the owners sought assistance to reinstate the original shingled roof, along with repairs to joinery and removal of intrusive mortars and render. Pieces of the original roof are held in the on-site museum and will be used to guide the cut of the new shingles being installed.

Guildford Wesley Church Wesley Church and Manse, Guildford  $42,345.00
Heritage Place No. 02462

Heritage Professional: Stephen Carrick Architects

Built in the Victorian Academic style during the 1880s, Guildford's Wesley Church has been in continuous use as a place of worship since construction around 130 years ago.

Following on from last year's project to address rising damp, the main body of the church will be re-sheeting in short sheet galvanised steel this year, and the damp affected render to the interior will be stripped and the walls allowed to dry out before traditional lime render is reinstated.

CME Office Chief Mechanical Engineer's Office, Midland Railway Workshops  $100,000.00
Heritage Place No. 03273
Heritage Professional: Peritas Group

A prominent member of the buildings comprising the Midland Railway Workshops, the former Chief Mechanical Engineer's Office was built in 1904 and extended in 1963. A two storey red brick building, the Office has rendered bands and elaborate detailing to the timber gable ends, and once housed not only the Chief Mechanical Engineer, but also the clerical, pay, production, drawing, and Works Manager's offices, along with other engineers and administration staff up until the workshops closure in 1994.

Now under different owners, this year's project will see the ageing asbestos roof sheeting removed and metal roofing installed, maintaining the corrugated appearance and ensuring the safety of those working in and around the building.
Success Hill Lodge Success Hill Lodge, Bassendean  $7,703.00
Heritage Place No. 09201

Heritage Professional: To be confirmed

A substantial double storey brick and iron building, Success Hill Lodge was built on River Street, Bassendean, in 1896. The building takes a Federation Queen Anne style and has seen various uses during its lifetime, including a hotel, hospital, hospice, and also an aged care facility, before becoming a private residence.

A conservation management strategy has been offered to the owners this year, which will assist by guiding future conservation and maintenance works to this landmark building.

First Church of Christ First Church of Christ - Scientist, Perth  $10,555.00
Heritage Place No. 11595
Heritage Professional: Palassis Architects

Neighbouring the landmark Swan Barracks Arch at the top of St George’s Terrace in Perth, the First Church of Christ, Scientist, is a bold Inter War Art Deco building that was acclaimed as “a beautiful example of the modern trend in architecture” when first built and was noted for its creative design and innovative features following completion of construction in 1939.

The original Sunday School was lost to the extension of the freeway system in the 1960s, however, the original church building has remained largely unaltered. Unfortunately the construction of this building has seen the steel framed windows gradually fail. This year's funding will assist with a test project being undertaken to fully restore one window, and if the method is successful, it will be applied to other windows also approaching the end of their lifespan.

3 Pakenham St, FremantleImage credit: Republic of Fremantle 3 Pakenham Street, Fremantle West End  $40,105.10
Heritage Place No. 25225

Heritage Professional: Bernard Seeber Pty Ltd Architects

Located in Fremantle's historic West End precinct, the commercial building at 3 Pakenham Street was built in the 1920s and once presented with rendered bands and tuck-pointed red brick that is now concealed behind layers of paint. The windows have also been altered over time, along with the goods entrance (roller door).

This year's Heritage Council funding will assist in reinstating the original tuck-pointed presentation of the facade, and is part of an overall plan to reactivate the building and create a bespoke gin distillery.

regional
Anglican Church of AnnunciationImage credit: Diocese of North West Australia Anglican Church of the Annunciation, Broome $78,860.15

Heritage Place No. 00297
Heritage Professional: Hocking Heritage Studio

Also known as 'the little white church', Broome's Anglican Church of the Annunciation was built in 1903 on the corner of Hamersley and Mary Streets, in the Federation Carpenter Gothic style.

An iron-clad timber framed building, the church has seen better days, with deterioration of the timbers and metal cladding needing urgent attention. This year's funding will assist with the inspection of the building's structure and assist with replacement of defective structural and decorative timber work, as well as conservation works to the windows and doors.

Buckland Granary Granary - Buckland Homestead and Farm Buildings, Northam $55,967.00
Heritage Place No. 01843

Heritage Professional: Annabel Wills Architecture

Built in 1874, the granary at the former Buckland Homestead and Farm Buildings in Northam takes an Old Colonial Georgian style and remains standing despite being structurally unsound for a number of years. Thankfully, the property has recently changed hands, with the owners committed to conserving the historic buildings on site.

One of the few granary buildings in the State's Register of Heritage Places, the granary at the Buckland Homestead will be the subject of a conservation management strategy to guide future conservation and maintenance of the building. Some urgent structural stabilisation works will also be assisted with the grant funding, as the front wall is at significant risk of separating from the main structure.

Holy Trinity Church Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Roebourne $90,618.91

Heritage Place No. 02332
Heritage Professional: Stephen Carrick Architects with Ian Dodson

Completed in 1895, the Holy Trinity Church on Hampton Street in Roebourne is the oldest church in the Pilbara, and stands on the site of the original church that was built in 1883. The stone church has been the subject of successful Heritage Appeals through the National Trust of WA and has received several special bequests enabling a gradual conservation of this important building.

Now entering the final stages of the main conservation program, this year's project is to complete works to the building's interior to correct damp and restore the ceilings, and will also see the unique stained glass windows restored and protected. This will see the church almost completely restored and ready to open its doors again.

CBH Grain Silos CBH Grain Silos, Bunbury $100,000.00
Heritage Place No. 02999

Heritage Professional: Kent Lyon Architect

The first advance storage and mechanical bulk grain handling facility in WA, and a landmark of Bunbury, the former CBH Grain Silo on Casuarina Drive in Bunbury was converted into apartment/hotel complex in 2007. Being a former grain silo, the building is steel reinforced concrete, a construction method widely used in commercial buildings of this scale, but one that is unfortunately susceptible to concrete cancer when moisture penetrates through the porous concrete to the steel, causing rust.

This year's funding will assist with a full inspection of the exterior, a task complicated by the building's shape and sheer size, before works are undertaken to conserve the structural integrity and exterior of this magnificent building.

The Bowes Homestead The Bowes Homestead, Northampton $14,390.75
Heritage Place No. 03270

Heritage Professional: Eastman Poletti Sherwood Architects

The first pastoral and agricultural property in the Northampton District and the subject of much local interest, the Bowes Homestead was constructed in c.1850 in the simplistic functional style of many early homesteads, with rendered red brick walls and an iron roof.

Funding has been awarded this year for a conservation management strategy, which once complete will assist in guiding future conservation and maintenance of the historic building.


Cossack Town Site Cossack Town Site Precinct $69,000.00
Heritage Place No. 03239

Heritage Professional: To be confirmed

The Shire of Karratha have long maintained the historic town site of Cossack, a popular tourist attraction and a place of considerable significance to the Aboriginal, Japanese, Chinese, Malaysian, Filipino and Afghan communities.

The Heritage Council's funding of $69,000 has been offered to top up the existing funding provided by the State Government to assist with the ongoing conservation costs for the numerous buildings that comprise the historic town site.

Curdnatta Curdnatta, Northam $35,858.00
Heritage Place No. 10881

Heritage Professional: Element Advisory Pty Ltd

Designed by prominent WA architect Edwin Summerhayes, the single storey Federation Queen Anne styled Curdnatta residence was built in 1911 for the manager of the local Northam flour mill and remained as a place of residence for employees of various local milling companies until 1969. Unfortunately time has caught up with the verandah despite regular maintenance by the owners, with the wood ageing past the point of repair.

This year's funding will assist with the conservation of the verandah structure and boards, as well as the footings under the verandah and the house itself. 


5 Pine St, Pemberton







5 Pine Street
Image credit: Lynne Farrow Architect

7 Pine St








7 Pine Street
Image credit: Lynne Farrow Architect

Pemberton Timber Mill Workers' Cottages Precinct:
5 Pine Street
7 Pine Street


$66,453.75
$78,588.51
Heritage Place No. 11381

Heritage Professionals: Engenuity Engineers

Residences within the Pemberton Timber Mill Worker’s Cottages Precinct were built between 1913 and 1951 to house workers at the State Saw Mills, which operated until 1961. The residences continued to be used as a mill workers’ precinct under different private milling companies until 2002, with many home to current or former mill workers who now own, rather than lease the properties. The historic precinct is rare as a large collection of relatively intact timber mill workers cottages that share similar construction with locally sourced hardwood timber used for framing, stumps and weather boards and corrugated metal used for roofs.

The two residences offered funding this year are both aiming to improve drainage by removing excess soil build up from the rear of the houses, with the houses then re-leveled and re-stumped. A soil and water retention system will also be installed behind the house at number 7 to prevent future build up from impacting the structure, with the existing system at number 5 improved to cope with heavy downpours.

Stirling Terrace PrecinctImage credit: H+H Architects 164-166, 168, 176 and 178-180 Stirling Terrace
Stirling Terrace Precinct, Albany
$34,870.00

Heritage Place No. 14922
Heritage Professional: H+H Architects

The Stirling Terrace Precinct is a collection of buildings that form a segmented crescent overlooking Albany's Princess Royal Harbour. The buildings are each historically valuable in their own right, and as a collective demonstrate the various developmental phases of not just Albany, but the wider state of WA from the mid 1800s to the present. day.

Following on from recently completed building condition assessments and structural inspections, the owner of four properties in Albany's Stirling Terrace Precinct is undertaking numerous repairs to the facades of these iconic buildings, improving their structural integrity, appearance and the functionality of door and window openings.

Royal George HotelImage credit: H+H Architects Royal George Hotel, Stirling Terrace, Albany $100,000.00
Heritage Place No. 14922

Heritage Professional: H+H Architects

Built on the site of the former Aberdeen House, Albany's Royal George Hotel had the original verandah structure removed (like many of its neighbours) due to safety concerns in the mid 1900s. Unfortunately, the intrusive awning that replaced the verandah is now causing structural damage to the building, and its installation also saw part removal of some of the original decorative features of the facade.

With the prior safety concerns no longer an issue, this year's project will see the removal of the damaging awning and replacement with a traditional style verandah, with repairs to the facade undertaken during the project, ensuring the building's original appearance is reinstated along with the functional multi-storey verandah space.


inHerit - an online portal for heritage listings

Contact Us

Our Office hours are from Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.


View Larger Map


Heritage is integral to the vibrant life and prosperity of Western Australia.
General Enquiries

Level 2, 491 Wellington Street, Perth WA 6000

Locked Bag 2506
PERTH WA 6001

T: (08) 6551 8002
Freecall (regional): 1800 52 4000
F: (08) 6552 4001
info@dplh.wa.gov.au

Follow Us
@StateHeritage