Skip to Navigation Skip to Content


2017-18 Heritage Grants Program recipients

This year, 23 projects were awarded heritage grants – 13 metropolitan and 10 regional projects, and a total of $1.222 million was allocated in funding.

Read the Minister's media statement here.

metropolitan 
Knocknagow Knocknagow, Fremantle
 $37,544.50
Heritage Place No. 803
Heritage Professional: Chris Samson

Perched atop the rise of Preston Point Road in East Fremantle, Knocknagow is a Federation Queen Anne styled private residence with a finely detailed belvedere. Unfortunately the combination of time and a coastal location have impacted the tall timber and iron belvedere structure, with the wood badly deteriorated and the iron panelling collapsing as a result.

With the belvedere at imminent risk of loss, the owners sought assistance this year to fully restore and weatherproof the structure from top to bottom, ensuring the conserved structure has a long lifespan ahead. The funding awarded will also assist with re-pointing the traditional limestone walls to the property entrance.

Wilhelmsen Wilhelmsen House, Fremantle
 $61,725.00
Heritage Place No. 854 (and within Place No. 25225)

Heritage Professional: Rodney Mollett

Formerly known as the Elder’s Building, and one of Fremantle’s most ornate buildings - both inside and out, Wilhelmsen House was built in 1902 at 11 Cliff Street, Fremantle. It originally housed the headquarters of a shipping company, and serves a similar purpose today.

After being dressed in white paint for several years, the owners have undertaken a painstaking restoration of the building's exterior, reinstating the contrasting colours of the natural stone and brickwork. This year's grant will see the completion of the reinstatement works, with the decorative lantern to the cupola (dome) being reinstated this year, which will also assist with water ingress issues.

External view of WA Rowing Club Perth West Australian Rowing Club, Perth  $88,369.27

Heritage Place No. 2090
Heritage Professional: Bruce Callow & Associates

The home of the first established rowing club in Western Australia, the West Australian Rowing Club has been in continuous use since is construction in 1905. The building is the only surviving two-storey piled timber boat shed from the early 1900s on the Perth Swan River, and is now the neighbour of Perth's Bell Tower and Elizabeth Quay.

With the club celebrating an anniversary in 2018, this year's grant will assist with conservation of the roof, walls and flooring, ensuring the building remains safe and functional for many years to come.

Rechabite Hall Rechabite Hall, Perth  $100,000.00
Heritage Place No. 2155

Heritage Professional: To be confirmed

The only surviving friendly society building in the Perth Cultural Centre vicinity, the Inter-War Free Classical styled Rechabite Hall has been a hub for cultural activities since construction in 1924.

Disused in recent years, this year's funding will assist with restoration of the deteriorated facade, cutting out spalling concrete and and treating or replacing defective steel reinforcing before reinstating the original finish. The windows will also be conserved as part of this project to reactivate the building and reconnect it to WA's thriving arts and culture community.

Bell Cottage Bell Cottage (ruin), East Rockingham
 $18,093.00

Heritage Place No. 2329
Heritage Professional: Hocking Heritage Studio

Formerly known as Woodbine, the ruins of Bell Cottage are found in a pocket of industrial land in East Rockingham. Once a Victorian Georgian cottage with limestone walls and an iron clad roof, the cottage and the accompanying barn were built in c.1868 are among the oldest structures built in the region. Although the cottage is no longer intact, the ruins have high archaeological potential, and the remnant structures serve as a tangible reference point for the development of the region.

This year’s grant will assist the owners in compiling thorough documentation for the site, with an archaeological study (including test sites) to be undertaken and the findings incorporated into a conservation management plan.

Clontarf Clock tower - Clontarf, Waterford
 $17,400.00
Heritage Place No. 2401
Heritage Professional: To be confirmed

The well-known Clontarf campus on Manning Road, Waterford, is home to a collection of heritage structures built between 1901 and 1973, as well as some more recent additions. Clontarf has been associated with education throughout its history, an association which continues to this day.

Unfortunately, the concrete construction of the iconic clock tower at Clontarf has been penetrated by water, causing corrosion of the embedded steel. The expanding steel has caused cracking to the concrete and made the structure dangerous, meaning it is fenced off to protect the students. This year's grant will assist with a full restoration of the structure, including the clock face.
Albany Bell Castle Albany Bell Castle, Maylands  $9,563.59
Heritage Place No. 2429

Heritage Professional: Griffiths Architects

Now converted into apartments, the Albany Bell Castle began life in 1914 as a factory producing confectionery and cakes - something unexpected perhaps, given the detailing of the facades.

The remaining original 'castle' structure to the exterior of the complex will be the subject of a grant-assisted conservation management strategy this year, to help document the place's significant zones and elements; its condition; and also to schedule conservation and maintenance works that may be required now and into the future.

Wesley Chapel and Manse Wesley Chapel and Manse, Guildford  $22,210.00
Heritage Place No. 2462
Heritage Professional: Stephen Carrick Architects

Built in the Victorian Academic style during the 1880s, Guildford's Wesley Church has been in continuous use as a place of worship since construction around 130 years ago.

With evidence of rising damp all the way up to the base of the side windows, this year's funding will assist with works to prevent further damp issues; help with re-sheeting the porch roof; and also to update the conservation management plan, ensuring the place has solid guidance for future conservation.

Houghton Homestead Houghton Homestead, Middle Swan  $85,500.00
Heritage Place No. 2498

Heritage Professional: TPG + Place Match

The backdrop to many wedding photos, the Houghton Homestead's Scottish Crofter styled buildings date back to the 1860s, when the primary crop at the farm was wheat. Vines were established at the property at that time, however, and gradually took over to become the main crop, with the wines produced world renowned. The buildings were constructed with bricks from locally sourced clay, sheoak shingles split from trees on the property and pit sawn jarrah flooring.

With the homestead and stable building's shingles no longer serving as functional roof cladding due to severe deterioration, this year's funding will see the buildings re-roofed with corrugated galvanised steel, preventing further water ingress and damage to the buildings. Any salvageable shingles from the current roof will retained on site, and potentially used for interpretive purposes.

CBH Building Co-operative Bulk Handling Building (fmr), West Perth  $100,000.00
Heritage Place No. 3550
Heritage Professional: TPG + Place Match with MEND

One of the Register’s youngest members, the CBH building was built in 1968 to house Co-Operative Bulk Handling, who occupied the building until 2003. An example of Late Twentieth-Century International Building style, the building is constructed in steel reinforced concrete, and is known for its concrete brise soleil (sunshades) which were employed to limit the entry of heat and light into the building during the summer months, but maximise absorption during winter.

The construction method used for the brise soleil is susceptible to concrete cancer, and in the case of the CBH building, this has unfortunately become the reality. This year’s funding will assist with the repair of widespread cracking and deterioration of the facades and sunshades, as well as the reapplication of the waterproofing membrane to the roof.

22-26 Pakenham St Warehouse, 22-26 Pakenham Street, Fremantle
 $54,697.50
Heritage Place No. 18772 (and within Place No. 25225)

Heritage Professional: Hocking Heritage Studio

An unusually intact example of an early warehouse, 22-26 Pakenham Street was built in 1907 in the heart of Fremantle’s West End Precinct. The two-storey red brick building now functions as exhibition/gallery space and artists studios, and has been lucky to find itself the subject of an ongoing conservation program, following completion of a conservation management plan in 2010.

This year’s grant-assisted project to continue conservation of the building will see reconnection of floor and roof timbers to the walls, stabilisation of the walls, rebuilding of a section to the entrance threshold and a geotechnical investigation to identify any underlying site issues.

Ajax Ajax Building - West End, Fremantle
 $32,738.48
Heritage Place No. 25225
Heritage Professional: To be confirmed

A member of the recently registered West End precinct in Fremantle, the Ajax Building was erected in the late 1800s on the site of the former Stag's Head Inn.

The building will be the subject of a conservation management plan this year, which will fully document the past and present of the place and guide the future development and maintenance of the building. The funding will also assist with replacement of failed guttering behind the facades and allow for replacement of defective structural members to the roof.

Oceanic Hotel Oceanic Hotel - West End, Fremantle
 $100,000.00

Heritage Place No. 25225
Heritage Professional: To be confirmed

Once known as the Welsh Harp Hotel, the West End's Oceanic Hotel was constructed in 1898. Although it served as a hotel for many years, the building was converted into apartments in the early 1980s, but retained most original exterior features.

An extensive conservation project will be will be undertaken with this year's grant funding, with works to strip the paint and render from the facades a priority due to severe damp issues. The grant will also assist with redirection of storm water away from the building and conservation of the windows and decorative elements to the building's exterior.

regional
Camfield Camfield House, Albany $11,358.00

Heritage Place No. 17
Heritage Professional: To be confirmed

Originally built to house the Albany Native Institution in 1858, Camfield was built on a slope of Mount Melville in the Victorian Rustic Gothic and Victorian Georgian Styles, becoming a landmark due to its elevated position.

To help document Camfield's history and guide future development and maintenance of the place, this year's funding has been awarded for the compilation of a conservation management plan.

Church of St Nicholas Church of St Nicholas, Australind $10,807.50
Heritage Place No. 1188

Heritage Professional: To be confirmed

A simple timber and iron structure, St Nicholas' was first built as a settler's residence in 1844, but became a church in 1850.

Although the Old Colonial Georgian styled structure is simple, it is showing signs of ageing, with this year's funding to assist with the reconstruction of the deteriorated roof framing, straightening of the walls, re-cladding of the roof, and the conservation of timber flooring and the sub-floor structure.

St Andrews St Andrew's Church and Hall $42,310.00

Heritage Place No. 1329
Heritage Professional: H+H Architects

Katanning's oldest church, St Andrew's was built in 1898, with the hall built in 1911. The church and hall demonstrate the change in construction styles during the period, with the church primarily brick, and the hall employing concrete elements.

This year's funding will assist with the repair of severe structural cracking and replacement of fretted brickwork, re-pointing of brickwork, rehanging of interior doors, repairs to rusted lintels and control of the neighbouring eucalypt's root system, which is encroaching on the buildings.

Fairbridge Chapel Chapel - Fairbridge Farm School (fmr), Pinjarra $100,000.00
Heritage Place No. 1762

Heritage Professional: Stephen Carrick Architects

Located at the base of the Darling Scarp, and the first of a number of child emigration society buildings constructed in Australia, the former Fairbridge Farm School dates back to the 1920s, with the school's former Church of the Holy Innocents built in 1932.

The shingled roof at the former church has slowly been deteriorating, and now fails to shed water adequately. This year's funding will assist with the inspection of the current roof structure and identification of a suitable replacement cladding, which regardless of material, will have a significant visual impact on the building.

St Werburgh's St. Werburgh's Chapel and Cemetery, Mount Barker $29,367.22
Heritage Place No. 2284

Heritage Professional: Lynne Farrow Architect

The St Werburgh's Chapel and Cemetery was built between 1872 and 1878 by the Egerton-Warburton family and may be the only surviving church in WA built on private property by a landowner. During the early days of settlement, the church played an important role as the only place of worship and burial in a small, isolated community.

This year's funding will assist in implementing the recommendations of a previously completed conservation management plan, with works to the roof sheeting, flashings, roof struts, cob walls, internal and external joinery and linen linings, just some of the works planned for the project.

Paterson and Co Paterson & Co Fruit Packing Shed, Bridgetown $40,262.75
Heritage Place No. 3220

Heritage Professional: Annabel Wills Architecture

Built in 1937 during a boom in the apple industry, Bridgetown's former fruit packing sheds were purpose-built alongside the railway line, with the buildings taking a very utilitarian appearance.

The 1930's construction employed a combination of wood and asbestos, with wood used for framing and the asbestos for panelling. Unfortunately, the place has been a favorite dining spot for local termites, who have eaten out much of the wooden structural members, leaving the asbestos panels at imminent risk of collapse and damage. This year's funding will assist in replacement of the vermin damaged timbers and removal of asbestos from the site. Works will also be undertaken to ensure the new timbers do not become fresh food for the local termites.

Peedamulla Peedamulla Homestead (Shire of Ashburton) $100,000.00
Heritage Place No. 4656

Heritage Professional: To be confirmed

50km south east of Onslow lies the ruin of the old Peedamulla Homestead, which was built in 1915 along the original north west highway.

Phase one of an ambitious project to reactivate Peedamulla will see the structure re-roofed, with a timber framed, corrugated steel roof to be reinstated, ensuring the remaining walls are protected from the elements and prevent further deterioration.

Donnelly River Donnelly River Mill and Town Site Precinct $63,362.88
Heritage Place No. 8198

Heritage Professional: Lynne Farrow Architect

Once a thriving timber town with a steam powered mill, workers' residences and associated communal buildings, the Donnelly River precinct was sold into private ownership in 2010, with the owner group since winning a Heritage Award in 2016. The precinct has become a popular tourist attraction and hosts various functions and events all year round.

Several of the publically accessible buildings in the precinct will be re-stumped and re-levelled this year, with works also planned to reduce soil levels around several buildings where build up is impacting the structures.

Stirling Tce 164-166 and 168-180 Stirling Terrace, Albany $1,780.00
Heritage Place No. 14922

Heritage Professional: H+H Architects

The former golf store (164-166) and Ballybane Tearooms (168-180) are both members of Albany's historic Stirling Terrace precinct, but contrast in terms of style and construction, with the golf store a simple single storey building built post 1910, and the former Ballybane Tearooms starting life in 1887 as a single storey bakery before expanding in the 1920s.

These two members of the Stirling Terrace precinct will each have a detailed scope of works drawn up to guide future conservation works, ensuring they continue to contribute to the streetscape alongside their many well conserved neighbours.

St Boniface St. Boniface Anglican Cathedral and Bishopscourt, Bunbury $94,910.31

Heritage Place No. 18566
Heritage Professional: Kent Lyon Architect

Built on Brent Tor, one of the highest sites in Bunbury, St Boniface was the first Anglican Cathedral built in WA in the 20th century. Built in the Post-War Ecclesiastical style, the Cathedral also serves as a war memorial, and is the only war memorial cathedral in WA.

Embedded steel reinforcement and steel lintels and balustrading at the Cathedral are showing signs of corrosion, with cracking also evident in several sections of the brickwork. This year's funding will assist in the treatment/replacement of defective steel, making good any areas where concrete has been cut out, and also assist with repairs to cracking. Sealants will be applied to concrete to prevent future water ingress and some stained glass windows will also be restored as part of the project.


inHerit - an online portal for heritage listings

Contact Us

Our Office hours are from Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.


View Larger Map


Heritage is integral to the vibrant life and prosperity of Western Australia.
General Enquiries

Level 2, 491 Wellington Street, Perth WA 6000

Locked Bag 2506
PERTH WA 6001

T: (08) 6551 8002
Freecall (regional): 1800 52 4000
F: (08) 6552 4001
info@dplh.wa.gov.au

Follow Us
@StateHeritage