Skip to Navigation Skip to Content


2015-16 Heritage Grants Program recipients

This year, 27 projects were awarded heritage grants – 11 metropolitan and 16 regional projects, and a total of $1.286 million was allocated in funding.

Read the Minister's media statement here.


metropolitan

 Image of Norma Andrews

Clontarf, Waterford
Heritage Place No. 2401

Heritage Architect: John Taylor Architect

The well-known Clontarf campus on Manning Road, Waterford, is home to a collection of heritage buildings erected between 1901 and 1973, as well as some more recent additions. Clontarf has been associated with education throughout its history, an association which continues to this day.

Unfortunately, a lack of maintenance and time has resulted in the deterioration of some of the structures on the site, with the classrooms and gymnasium in Building Three in need of ceiling replacement, drainage works, stabilisation of the west wall and parapet, and restoration of the handball court. Building One requires urgent works to correct the collapsing ceiling in the stairwell and stabilise cracking to the window heads and lintels in the tower. The works will ensure the spaces can continue to be used safely into the future and are being assisted by a $95,700 heritage grant.

Image of Mr Laurie Ayers

Duncraig House, Heathcote Hospital, Applecross
Heritage Place No. 3289

Heritage Architect: Hocking Heritage Studio

Located in the grounds of the former Heathcote Hospital, one of Applecross’ most scenic and visited places, Duncraig House, has been successfully adapted into apartments. However the original wrap-around verandah has been lost and some of the ceilings are dilapidated and contain asbestos, and over time some finishes have deteriorated.

Under the Heritage Grants Program the owner was awarded a $69,198 grant to reinstate the original verandah elements and to repair the ceilings and deteriorated finishes. The grant will also assist in the rectification of stormwater discharge from the verandah to ensure there are no issues with damp at its base.

 Church of Christ
First Church of Christ, Scientist, Perth
Heritage Place No. 11595

Heritage Architect: Palassis Architects

Neighbouring the landmark Swan Barracks Arch at the top of St George’s Terrace in Perth, the First Church of Christ, Scientist, is a bold Inter War Art Deco-styled building that was acclaimed as “a beautiful example of the modern trend in architecture” when first built and was noted for its creative design and innovative features following completion of construction in 1939.

The original Sunday School was lost to the extension of the freeway system in the 1960s, however, the original church building has remained largely unaltered. A combination of factors has led to structural cracking in multiple areas of the building. The Church commenced repairs to the building in 2010 but limited funding has seen the repairs undertaken in stages according to the severity of the cracking present. The $21,869 awarded will assist with final crack repairs and the conservation of defective plasterwork to the interior.
 Gt Southern Roller Flour Mills
Great Southern Roller Flour Mill, North Fremantle
Heritage Place No. 3645

Heritage Architect: URBIS

The landmark Great Southern Roller Flour Mill, better known as the Dingo Flour Mill, is well-known for the four-storey red dingo emblazoned on the silo cladding facing the Indian Ocean and Stirling Highway. Unfortunately, time and the salt-laden winds of the Fremantle Doctor have aged the sign, resulting in the brittle state it is now in.

An $82,564 grant will assist in recladding the silos in the traditional corrugated sheeting and repainting the famous ‘DINGO FLOUR’ sign, ensuring that this much treasured icon of North Fremantle remains in place for generations to come.
 Lexbourne House
Lexbourne House (fmr), West Perth
Heritage Place No. 2905

Heritage Architect: Palassis

Recognising the importance of guiding documentation and the need to undertake conservation works, the owner of the elegant two-storey Federation Free Style Lexbourne House at 16 Colin Street, West Perth, is compiling a conservation management plan and undertaking conservation works.

These works include conserving the building by relaying/replacing loose or defective roof tiling and repairing piers, lintels, beams, balcony decking and structural timbers to the veranda along with repairs to window and door joinery, partial gutter replacement and paint/render conservation.

The conservation documentation and works project is being assisted by a $64,725 grant to help ensure that future management of the place is well-guided and that the 103-year-old building maintains its statement two-storey Corinthian columned verandah for many years to come.
 Maltings Plant
Maltings Plant (fmr), Perth
Heritage Place No. 4648

Heritage Architect: Griffiths Architects

Damage due to mismatched roof materials at the former Maltings Plant on Stuart Street in Perth, prompted an application under the Heritage Grants Program this year. Now residential, the former industrial complex comprises several buildings constructed between 1899 and 1949 as part of a maltings plant (malted grain), which ceased operations on the site and closed in August 1998.

To assist the owners with identification and prioritisation of conservation works, $12,662.50 has been offered to assist with the costs of developing a conservation management strategy to guide works and help ensure the buildings are conserved for generations to come.
 Image of Mr Tom Perrigo
10 Moir Street, Brookman & Moir Streets, Precinct, Perth
Heritage Place No. 3992

Heritage Architect: Alice Steedman

An integral part of Perth’s picturesque Brookman and Moir Streets Precinct, 10 Moir Street has seen better days since it was built in the late 1890s. Extensive structural cracking and subsidence of its footings has caused damage throughout the building.

A grant of $100,000 will assist with the reinforcement of footings, stabilisation works and repairs to structural cracking, along with floor reinstatement and the reinstatement of a double hung sash window to the façade. These works will prevent further structural deterioration of the property and restore it to its original appearance.
 Newmarket Hotel
Newmarket Hotel, Hamilton Hill
Heritage Place No. 504

Heritage Architect: Hocking Heritage Studio

After being on the market for a considerable period, the Newmarket Hotel, built in 1912, finally found itself a loving owner last year. The new owner will be converting the heavily vandalised and deteriorated building into a ballet studio. The current state of the building means this is no small task, with a multitude of work required before the doors can open to students.

As part of the restoration, work to repoint the façades and south elevation, along with repairs to flooring and other internal and external joinery, is being assisted by a $100,000 grant under this year’s Heritage Grants Program. The project to restore this landmark building will breathe new life into the building, ensuring it remains in use and connected to West Australians for generations to come.
 24 Ord St
24 Ord Street, Ord & Bateman Street Precinct, Fremantle
Heritage Place No. 13806

Heritage Architect: Gerard McCann Architect

Located in Fremantle’s Ord & Bateman Street Precinct and perhaps better known as ‘Monaro’, 24 Ord Street is a landmark two-storey Federation Filigree residence that completes a row of two-storey residences along Ord Street. The house originally presented with an ornately iron laced two storey verandah, but over time this detailing has been lost and the current structure has become structurally unsound.

This year’s $80,225 grant will assist with the restoration of the verandah structure, resulting in a more historically accurate appearance and allow the owners to enjoy the space, currently unusable due to its condition.
 Scots Presbyterian
Scots Presbyterian Church, Fremantle
Heritage Place No. 1009

Heritage Architect: Hocking Heritage Studio

The City of Fremantle’s Scots Presbyterian Church, a Federation Free Gothic-styled limestone, brick and terracotta tiled building, on the corner of South Terrace and Parry Street, has been a Fremantle landmark since its construction in 1890.

Now more than 100-years-old, the church has been slowly conserved over the past few years, with restoration of the badly deteriorated upper section of the bell tower taking priority over other tasks. The majority of this work was completed earlier in 2015, and the church has now turned its attention to the lower section of the tower, where the stone and brick masonry needs repointing. Minor repairs to the church’s interior are also required, following repairs to areas where damp affected plaster has previously been removed.

The works will be assisted by a $7,308 grant, with this work completing the restoration of the iconic bell tower.
 Image of members of the Guildford Association planting  a tree
Wilhelmsen House, Fremantle
Heritage Place No. 854

Heritage Architect: Slavin Architects

Formerly known as the Elder’s Building, and one of Fremantle’s most ornate buildings, both inside and out, Wilhelmsen House was built in 1902 at 11 Cliff Street, Fremantle. It originally housed the headquarters of a shipping company.

Unfortunately over time, the Federation Free Classical facades have been painted and rendered, concealing the natural beauty of the rock faced limestone and the contrast of the original brickwork and rendering. The $100,000 grant awarded to the owners will assist with the careful removal of paint and repointing of the masonry, as well as repairs to the cracked upper level cornice.

regional



 4 Kelly St
12 Dean Street, 10 Dean Street & 4 Kelly Street, Pemberton Timber Mill Workers' Cottages Precinct, Pemberton
Heritage Place No. 11381

Heritage Architect: Lynne Farrow Architect

Pemberton’s Timber Mill Workers’ Cottages Precinct began as a collection of residences built specifically for those employed in the local timber mills in the 1920s. The buildings are all constructed of locally sourced timber weatherboards with corrugated roofs and all are supported by wooden stumps.

With many of the buildings now celebrating their centenaries, restumping has become necessary for many of the residences in the precinct due to the ageing and deterioration of the locally sourced hardwood stumps. It is vital to restump now before damage to the supporting structures takes place and the buildings develop any lean.

Three restumping projects in the precinct were awarded funding this year, with $15,637.05 awarded to 12 Dean Street, $17,782.05 awarded to 10 Dean Street, and $7,403.47 awarded to 4 Kelly Street to assist with completion of the works.

 Edna May Tavern
Edna May Tavern, Westonia
Heritage Place No. 2707

Heritage Consultant: Laura Gray

Constructed in 1915, the Edna May Tavern is located at the intersection of Wolfram and Cement Streets in Westonia, 10km north of the Great Eastern Highway in the eastern Wheatbelt. The single-storey timber framed hotel was originally located in Bonnievale, and was relocated to Westonia to accommodate demand following the development of the Edna May Gold Mine in the early 1910s. It is the last remaining hotel in Westonia and the last single-storey timber framed hotel in the Wheatbelt.

Adding to its rarity, the tavern, which celebrated its centenary in February 2015, has continuously operated in Westonia since 1915, despite times of boom and bust.

The owner-operators of Edna May Tavern plan to use the $26,400 grant to re-floor the building, remove the current particle board floor, and reinstate the original flooring, using recycled jarrah boards to maintain authenticity.
 Empire Buildings
Empire Buildings, Stirling Terrace Precinct, Albany
Heritage Place No. 14922

Heritage Architect: H+H Architects

An important part of Albany’s well known Stirling Terrace Precinct, the two-storey Empire Buildings were constructed in 1912 on the corner of Stirling Terrace and York Street in the Federation Free Classical style as a theatre and shops. Currently in use as office and retail space, the owners applied for assistance in developing a conservation management strategy for the 103-year old building.

The strategy will assist the owners in identifying and prioritising conservation works to the building, an important element of the Albany streetscape. A grant of $5,712.50 has been awarded to assist with the project.
 Enderslea
Enderslea, Chittering
Heritage Place No. 3569

Heritage Architect: Post Architecture

Well-known amongst Western Australia’s heritage, history and arts communities, and a popular tourist destination, Enderslea in Chittering was established in 1853. It was originally a single-storey Victorian Georgian Homestead, with a stone barn, shepherds hut and shearing shed added in 1859.

As part of an ongoing conservation program at Enderslea, the stone barn requires repointing and the original stone well needs rebuilding. A grant of $19,165 has been awarded to assist with this work. The works will enable the barn to be adapted into an artist’s residence in the future.
 Glentromie

Glentromie Farm Group, Glentromie
Heritage Place No. 12874

Heritage Architect: Now | Then Architecture Renewed

Following the compilation of a conservation management strategy under last year’s Heritage Grants Program, Glentromie’s owners applied for assistance under this year’s program and received a grant of $7,175.

The funds will assist in obtaining advice from a specialised structural engineer on the stabilisation of the groups shearing shed and stables, which are at risk of collapse. This will ensure they remain a functioning part of this significant and expansive pastoral group. The majority of the Glentromie Farm Group structures were erected between 1860 and 1880, and the stables and shearing shed are excellent examples of Victorian Georgian farm buildings that were functional, but also well-crafted and designed to represent prosperity and stability.

 Gwambygine
Gwambygine Farm and Pool, York
Heritage Place No. 14880

Heritage Architect: Ronald Bodycoat

Constructed in the mid-to-late 1830s, Gwambygine Farm and Pool holds important associations for the Aboriginal and farming communities around York. The property has been in family ownership since the mid-1920s, but despite regular conservation works, some areas of the structures on site continue to deteriorate and require intervention to maintain structural integrity and their original appearance.

A grant of $15,484.20 was awarded to Gwambygine this year to assist with restoration of the subfloor structure and flooring in the shearing shed, repairs to cracking in the walls of the shearing shed, and correction of deteriorated stone masonry of the barn.
 Katanning Roller Flour Mill
Katanning Roller Flour Mill, Katanning
Heritage Place No. 1344

Heritage Architect: Hocking Heritage Studio

Formerly the Premier Flour Mill, the Katanning Roller Flour Mill has lain largely dormant since its closure in 1976. Recently, the building found new owners who plan to adapt the building from a flour mill to an eatery and accommodation. Before this work can commence, a considerable amount of conservation work needs to be undertaken at the former mill, starting with re-roofing in traditional short sheet galvanised steel, repairs to deteriorated joists and the prevention of damp to the basement. Window and door joinery will also be repainted during initial works, and the façades investigated for the level of deterioration before restoration works are carried out.

The project will be assisted by a $100,000 grant under the Heritage Grants Program. The completed works will provide a new lease of life for the former flour mill, adding to its cultural heritage significance and ensuring it remains connected with Western Australians well into the future.

 Koogereena
Koogereena, Kojarena (City of Greater Geraldton)
Heritage Place No. 13930

Heritage Architect: Eastman Poletti Sherwood

Well-known in the region for its diverse history and associations, Koogereena has been in use as a working homestead since its construction in 1911.

Successful under last year’s Heritage Grants Program, Koogereena Homestead was unfortunately unable to continue with the works, reapplying under this year’s funding round for assistance to undertake the works now that the future is more certain.

The project has attracted $74,768.19 in funding to assist with urgent masonry repairs to the homestead, along with the reinstatement of the original circular driveway. The project will protect the exterior walls of the homestead and ensure visitors to the homestead are greeted by the grand entry they would have seen when the homestead was built over a century ago.
 Lynburn
Lynburn Homestead and Shearing Shed (fmr), Esperance
Heritage Place No. 4216

Heritage Architect: Griffiths Architects

Formerly known as the Thomas River Station Homestead, the former Lynburn Homestead and Shearing Shed, 105km east of Esperance, was originally a two-roomed cottage built in 1872 to serve the land owned by Campbell Taylor. The Thomas River Station was the second station to be established in Esperance and the first and most easterly sheep station on the south east coast of Western Australia.

Unfortunately, the homestead and shearing shed were badly damaged by fire several years ago, resulting in the loss of almost the entire homestead aside from the masonry. The owners re-roofed both structures to prevent further deterioration and following the restoration of the shearing shed in 2004, applied for assistance this year to restore the homestead under the Heritage Grants Program. The Heritage Council is assisting with $24,500 towards the preparation of a detailed scope and methodology to inform the works as a first step in the restoration of this important homestead.
 Pingelly Post Office
Pingelly Post Office, Pingelly
Heritage Place No. 2252

Heritage Architect: Rosalie Pech Eva Architect

The original post office in Pingelly was constructed in 1893, but became a residence only, following construction of the current conjoined post office in 1918. Both buildings are listed together in the State Register of Heritage Places, having a close association and function, despite being constructed in differing styles.

The post office buildings have retained their short sheet iron roofs, however the original post office’s roof is now quite aged, with sheets beginning to lift and rust setting in. A grant of $29,037.80 will assist the owners in re-roofing the building and replacing deteriorated barge boards and battens. When completed, this project will ensure that the original short-sheet roof appearance is maintained whilst keeping the building weatherproof for many years to come.
 St Joseph Convent
Saint Joseph's Convent (fmr), Albany
Heritage Place No. 1

Heritage Architect: H+H Architects

Although not the first place entered in the State Register of Heritage Places, Place Number One, the former Saint Joseph’s Convent, has been heritage-listed since the late 1990s and has been valued by Albany since its construction in 1881. The building, a former convent and school, is currently used as offices.

Despite being maintained during its lifetime, a range of preventative works are required to ensure that any accelerating factors are halted before substantial damage occurs. Works to the property include repairs to the joinery, replacement of defective rainwater goods, correction of drainage/stormwater discharge and repairs to masonry. A grant of $32,667.00 has been awarded to assist with these tasks which, once completed, will ensure that the property continues to remain in sound condition.
 Northcliffe Store
Store, Northcliffe
Heritage Place No. 3142

Heritage Architect: Annabel Wills Architect

One of only two remaining examples of a timber-framed store associated with group settlement in our south west, the mid-1920s Store in Northcliffe is a simple timber and iron building. Like many others of its vintage, it is in need of a re-roof, the short sheet iron roof having rusted through in many areas.

To assist with re-roofing the building, a $10,634 grant has been awarded on the condition that the sign painted on the roof is retained on site. Locals and those involved with campaigns to save old growth forests in the 1990s will be familiar with the sign, which has been visible to visitors for twenty years and holds great significance to many.
 Walebing
Walebing, Walebing (Shire of Moora)
Heritage Place No. 3268

Heritage Architect: John Taylor Architect

Established in 1851, Walebing is home to a collection of buildings that together comprise the rural station, many of which remain largely unmodified despite changes to farming operations over time.

As part of an ongoing process of renewal, the owners applied for assistance this year to repoint the eroded stone masonry to the cottage, kitchen stores and shearing shed. Once completed, the project will ensure that the walls to these buildings remain intact and the buildings serviceable for many years to come. The work, assisted by a $51,300 grant, will also have a striking visual impact following the reinstatement of lime mortar to the stonework.
 White Star
White Star Hotel, Stirling Terrace Precinct, Albany
Heritage Place No. 14922

Heritage Architect: H+H Architects

Albany’s White Star Hotel stands over the original White Hart Inn (1870), with the current two-storey Federation Filigree building erected in 1910, and additional rooms built in 1912. Named after the White Star Shipping Line that operated the ill-fated RMS Titanic, the Hotel has never
actually been owned by the shipping company, but was a favourite amongst local whaler and mariner crews because it was only a short walk from the town jetty.

The hotel demonstrates times of change in the Stirling Terrace Precinct, with several modifications undertaken over the years. One modification was the removal of the original timber-framed Federation Filigree verandah in 1961 due to safety concerns associated with the posted verandahs. It was replaced with the current awning,  Unfortunately, the awning is now causing structural damage to the building’s façade. A $55,000 grant has been awarded for the reinstatement of the original timber verandah.



inHerit - an online portal for heritage listings

Contact Us

Our Office hours are from Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.


View Larger Map


Heritage is integral to the vibrant life and prosperity of Western Australia.
General Enquiries

Level 2, 491 Wellington Street, Perth WA 6000

Locked Bag 2506
PERTH WA 6001

T: (08) 6551 8002
Freecall (regional): 1800 52 4000
F: (08) 6552 4001
info@dplh.wa.gov.au

Follow Us
@StateHeritage