Skip to Navigation Skip to Content


2014-15 Heritage Grants Recipients

This year, 43 projects shared in funding worth nearly $1.3million and, when combined with owner contributions, will generate more than $3.3million in conservation works around the State.
There are 11 metropolitan and 32 regional projects, which includes a special allocation for 12 buildings on Stirling Terrace Albany.
Read the media release announcing the successful 2014-15 Heritage Grants Program recipients. Read the media release on the Stirling Terrace, Albany projects. Find out more about the Heritage Grants Program.

 
 External view of WA Rowing Club Perth West Australian Rowing Club, Perth
$57,828

Place Number: 2090

The home of the first established rowing club in Western Australia, the building has been in continuous use since is construction in 1905. The only surviving two-storey piled timber boatshed from that period on the Perth Swan River, the grant will assist in replacing the piles underneath the building and for the installation of the jetty’s new deck. This critical work will allow the rowing club to continue into the future. 

 External view of ANZ Bank Carnarvon
ANZ Bank Building, Carnarvon
$17,163
Place number: 465

Originally constructed in 1905 for the Union Bank of Australia, it was the first bank built in Carnarvon. The Union Bank eventually became the ANZ Bank and the building continues to operate as an ANZ branch. The elegant Federation Free Classical-style building was designed by renowned WA architect J. J. Talbot Hobbs and his partners, and represents the growth and development of Carnarvon at the end of the gold boom. The building is now privately owned and the grant will assist in reinstating the iron roof and other roofing works.

 External view of courtyard of Beach House Trigg
Beach House, Trigg
$82,839

Place number: 2150
  
The 1914 Beach House is part of the initial settlement of Trigg as a beach resort and represents the development of Perth holiday beach cottages in an era that has all but disappeared. Conservation works include restumping the cottage, and repairs to the stonework, plasterwork, joinery, windows and other timber sections. This work will ensure that this unusual landmark, sitting amidst the bare costal reserve at Trigg, continues to remind future generations of a bygone era of holiday cottages on Perth beaches.

 
Belay Farm Group, Walkaway
$12,217
Place Number: 13900
Belay Farm Group is one of the few early farm complexes where the majority of buildings are still intact and in use today. Built in 1858, the farm helps tell the story of the early settlement of Greenough and the Mid West. The grant will assist with re-roofing and replacement of the gutters to the barn and tack room, along with urgent works to repair the stone walls of the barn and homestead.

 Exterior view of Cronshaw's Store Bunbury
Cronshaw’sStore, Bunbury
$100,000
Place Number: 375
This 1938 landmark is an excellent example of an Inter-War Functionalist building influenced by the abstract aesthetic ideals of the Modernist architectural movement. Designed by O.V. Chisholm, it was an accomplished work of design and construction. At the time, it was also a heroic jump for its draper owner into the modern world of commercialism following the Great Depression. The grant will assist in restoring the façade, including reconstructing balustrades, window awnings, balconies and masonry turrets.   
 Exterior view of Glentromie Group buildings

Glentromie Farm Group, Glentromie
$9,000

Place Number: 12874
Glentromie Farm Group illustrates the rags-to-riches story of an indentured labourer, Donald MacPherson, who went on to become a man of wealth and prominence. It is a story echoed by many former indentured labourers and servants who went on to become landowners in the early days of the colony. The grant will assist in the preparation of a Conservation Management Strategy that will help guide future maintenance and conservation work.

              Exterior view of Guildford Hotel Guildford    
            
Guildford Hotel, Guildford
$100,000

Place Number: 2463
Built in 1886, the Guildford Hotel is a prominent landmark that has been a focus of social activity in the community for more than a century. The Federation Free Classical architecture demonstrates the prosperity and development of the area at the turn-of-the-century. The grant will assist in reinstating the hotel’s belvedere destroyed in the 2008 fire.

         
 Exterior view of Holy Trinity Anglican Church Northampton
Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Northampton
$27,280
Place Number: 1909
Constructed of rough cut locally quarried stone, the Holy Trinity Anglican Church has served the Northampton community since 1908. This Federation Gothic Revival-style church is an important component of the historic town of Northampton, which is characterised by a large collection of very fine buildings using similar building materials. The grant will assist with the restoration of the damaged and deteriorated iconic stained glass windows.

 Exterior view of Jones's Buildings Broomehill
Jones’s Buildings (fmr), Broomehill
$12,762

Place Number: 310
Built in 1911, the Jones’s Buildings is an important part of the townscape and character of Broomehill. It is an outstanding example of a significantly intact group of six shops with attached residences, including a two-storey section, in a small town in rural WA. The grant will assist in restoring the single-storey bakery shop front, bakehouse and original brick oven so that it can be re-opened as a bakery as well as providing accommodation. Works include repairing the structural walls, repointing the brick work, and restoring or replacing the deteriorated wooden lintels, doors, door frames and window joinery.

 External view of Kellerberrin Fire Station Kellerberrin
Kellerberrin Fire Station, Kellerberrin
$33,825
Place Number: 1379
Up until 1997, the Kellerberrin Fire Station was the oldest purpose-built fire station still operating as a fire station in WA. Constructed in 1914, it is believed to be last remaining fire station built in Federation Free-style of public architecture. The owners now plan to turn the fire station into a residence. The grant will assist in repairing and restoring the parapet walls and façade. Despite its adaption, this iconic building remains a physical testament to the local fire brigade volunteers and their service to the community over 80 years.

 External view of Kellerberrin Post Office Kellerberrin
Kellerberrin Post Office, Kellerberrin
$57,896
Place Number: 1372
An essential component of the townscape of Kellerberrin, the Post Office is the most visually imposing building in the town. Built in 1912, its impressive scale and detail is rare for a post office outside the major regional towns and cities of WA and illustrates the importance of the town in the region during the early 1900s. The grant will assist in repairing the cracking to the façade and internal walls, as well as pay for a structural engineer’s assessment.


 External view of Koogereena Homestead Kojarena
Koogereena Homestead, Kojarena
$77,629
Place Number: 13930
This Federation Queen Anne-style homestead is nestled in amongst an Edwardian garden densely planted with mature palm trees. A working homestead since its construction in 1911, it also had an important role in World War Two as an army hospital and accommodation for women and children evacuated from Geraldton due to fears of a Japanese attack. The grant will assist in reinstating the homestead’s original circular driveway, repairs to tuck pointing and brickwork, and installation of a new damp proof course.

 External view of Meerilinga House West Perth
Meerilinga House, West Perth
$10,000
Place Number: 2236
This grand 1897 two-storey building was originally built as a residence, however, it is more commonly remembered for its role in the development of the kindergarten movement and early childhood education in WA. Once the home of the Kindergarten Association and the Meerilinga Young Children’s Foundation, the building is now used for office space. The grant will assist with the restoration of the ground level limestone, brickwork and wrought iron fencing, repairs to windows, lead-lighting, decorative tiling, internal walls, flooring and ceilings.

 External view of Levi Wallis's Cottage Walliston
Levi Wallis’s Cottage, Walliston
$9,207

Place Number: 9012
This rare 1915 timber-framed, sawn board clad and slab building was built by Levi Wallis, one of the first settlers in what was to become Walliston. Walliston was named after Wallis’ landing, a railway siding adjacent to the property. The cottage not only illustrates the self-sufficiency and self-reliance of settlers who used available materials to build their homes, but also the development of the orchard industry in Kalamunda. Now used for community events, by artists and as a weekender, the grant will assist in re-roofing the building in short sheet galvanised iron.

              External view of Minninup Homestead Minninup    
            
Minninup Homestead, Minninup
$32,666

Place Number: 440
Minninup Homestead was one of the earliest homesteads built in the Wellington district and gives an understanding of the development of farming in the Capel region in the early days of settlement. The Victorian Georgian stone house was built in 1844 and was one of the grandest in its day. The grant will assist in the repairs to the stables including stonework, roofing, flooring, timber windows and door frames as well as the commissioning of a structural engineers report.
           
 External view of Nedlands Tennis Club, Nedlands
Nedlands Tennis Club, Nedlands
$10,021
Place Number: 3964
The concrete-built Nedlands Tennis Club is the oldest and longest continuously operating sporting facility within the Melvista Park Reserve. Built in 1938 during the “Golden Age” of tennis, it was designed by Harold Krantz and is a rare example of a sporting facility built in the Inter War Functionalist-style. The functionalist-style is very much at home in Nedlands. The grant will assist with re-levelling the paving, construction of a retaining wall, and reticulation works to the grassed courts.

 External view of Norseman Post Office Norseman
Norseman Post Office, Norseman
$22,000
Place Number: 767
The Norseman Post Office has provided a postal service since its construction in 1897. It played an important role in the network of telegraphs stations that operated between 1897 and 1927, linking WA with the eastern states and overseas. The owners of the stone and corrugated iron-roofed building received a grant last year to fund a Conservation Management Strategy to identify and prioritise conservation works. This grant will assist with the urgent works identified including re-roofing and replacement of gutters and downpipes.

 External view of Northcliffe Store Northcliffe
Northcliffe Store, Northcliffe
$6,250

Place Number: 3142
The 1924 building is rare as one of only two remaining examples of a timber framed store of this design associated with Group Settlement in the South West in the 1920s. It was the first commercial premises built in Northcliffe, playing an integral role in the establishment of the town, and today remains the only timber-framed shop largely in its original form in the main street. The building was the premises for the Environment Centre, which played a central role in the 1990s campaign to save old-growth forests. The grant will assist with partially re-stumping the store.

 External view of Oakabella Homestead Northampton
Oakabella Homestead, Northampton
$10,000

Place Number: 3271
Built in the 1860s, Oakabella is a relatively complete example of a working farm from the early days of Northampton’s settlement. Among its buildings are the homestead, two-storey barn, blacksmith’s shop, stables and shearing shed. Now a popular tourist attraction with a café and small museum, it provides a fascinating insight into the life of our early settlers. The grant will help fund a Conservation Management Strategy which identifies the maintenance required for the sustainable future of the place, ensuring that Oakabella continues to entertain and educate future generations.

 External view of Salvation Army Headquarters and Congress Hall Perth
 Salvation Army Headquarters and Congress Hall (fmr), Perth
$8,175
Place Number: 2084
The former Salvation Army Headquarters and Congress Hall was built in 1899 for the Salvation Army, which has provided religious and welfare services to the community since 1891. Sold by the Army in the 1990s, this impressive building was adapted into commercial premises and residential apartments, and remains an important part of the precinct of late 1800s buildings in Pier Street between Hay and Murray Streets. The grant will help fund a Conservation Management Plan to provide guidelines for future maintenance and conservation work.



 External view of St Werburghs Chapel and Cemetery Mt Barker
St Werburgh’s Chapel and Cemetery, Mount Barker
$9,840
Place Number: 2284
The chapel and cemetery was built between 1872 and 1878 by the Egerton-Warburton family and may be the only surviving church in WA built on private property by a landowner. During the early days of settlement, the church played an important role as the only place of worship and burial in a small, isolated community. The church still holds services today and has become a tourist drawcard. The grant will help fund a Conservation Management Plan to provide guidelines for future maintenance and conservation work.

 External view of Summer Hill Group Glentromie
Summer Hill Group, Glentromie
$22,572
Place Number: 3943
One of the first farming properties to be settled in the Victoria Plains district, Summer Hill was built in the 1870s for shepherd John Halligan who went on to become a significant landholder. The place represents the success of many small landholders who went on to build substantial farms. Summer Hill was the venue for ploughing matches in the district, which later developed into the Victoria Plains Agricultural Show. Summer Hill received a 2011/12 grant to assist with the restoration and re-roofing of the stables. This year’s grant will assist in re-roofing the southern end of the stables.

                  
            
Tudor Lodge, Mount Lawley
$11,643

Place Number: 17150
The 1922 Californian Bungalow home was the most substantial and expensive residence built in Mount Lawley at the time. In 1952, it was purchased by the government and converted into a hostel for children. It was the first hostel that provided care for smaller numbers of children in a more home-like atmosphere and served a model for future child hostels in the State. In 2011, the house was sold and is now a private residence. The grant will assist the owners to undertake structural repairs to the veranda and painting of its external woodwork.
         
 Exterior view of Villa Carlotta Busselton
Villa Carlotta, Busselton
$100,000
Place Number: 386
The attractive Villa Carlotta has had many incarnations. Originally built as a family home in 1897, it operated as a convent and school from 1904 until 1951, and then as a private hotel and guest house. Today, it is part of the Busselton Bay Motel. Last year, Villa Carlotta received a grant for a Conservation Management Strategy. This year, the owners received the maximum grant of $100,000 to re-roof this beautiful Queen Anne Federation-style building

 External view of 53 Helena St Guildford
53 Helena Street, Guildford
$10,000

Place Number: 14344
The 1872 brick and iron home is one of the few surviving cottages in the State that initially occupied a member of the Pensioner Guard Force, which was composed of retired soldiers who were engaged as convict guards in the Swan River Colony. The grant will help pay for a Conservation Management Strategy that identifies future maintenance and conservation works.

 External view of 10 Turner St Bunbury
10 Turner Street, Bunbury
$11,880

Place Number: 366
This 1880 Victorian Italianate-style home is situated on the scenic slopes of King Table hill, which cradles the City of Bunbury. The land was once part of the huge estate of WA’s first Governor, Sir James Stirling, and illustrates the development of Bunbury and its suburbs. The grant will assist in re-roofing this picturesque property.

 External view of 16 Brookman St Perth
16 Brookman Street, Perth (Brookman & Moir Streets Precinct)
$21,030

Place Number: 3992
The Brookman and Moir Street Precinct is an almost intact residential estate built for working class families in the late 1890s. The grant will assist with the installation of damp proofing, repairs to brickwork, the tuck-pointing of the facade, restoration of timberwork and structural underpinning.

 External view of 28 Brookman St Perth
28 Brookman Street, Perth  (Brookman & Moir Streets Precinct)
$100,000
Place Number: 3992
The Brookman and Moir Street Precinct is an almost intact residential estate built for working class families in the late 1890s. This grant will assist in returning the façade to its original appearance by removing the intrusive render and tuck-pointing the bricks as well as repairing structural cracks. This work will benefit the entire streetscape of this historic inner-city precinct.

Photo of streetscape of Kelly St cottages Pemberton
8 Kelly Street, Pemberton (Pemberton Timber Mill Workers’ Cottages Precinct)
$7,760
Place Number: 11381
Residences within the Pemberton Timber Mill Worker’s Cottages Precinct were built between 1913 and 1951 to house workers at the State Saw Mills, which operated until 1961. The cottages continued to be used as a mill workers’ precinct under different companies until 2002. This historic precinct is rare as a large collection of relatively intact timber mill workers cottages. This grant will assist in replacing the weatherboards and barge boards to this house constructed in the 1920s.

 External view of 19 Kelly St Pemberton
19 Kelly Street, Pemberton (Pemberton Timber Mill Workers’ Cottages Precinct)
$13,685

Place Number: 11381
Residences within the Pemberton Timber Mill Worker’s Cottages Precinct were built between 1913 and 1951 to house workers at the State Saw Mills, which operated until 1961. The residences continued to be used as a mill workers’ precinct under different companies until 2002. This historic precinct is rare as a large collection of relatively intact timber mill workers cottages. The grant will assist in re-stumping the 1920s house as well as replacing the verandah boards, railings, and steps.

              External view of 18 Karri Rise Pemberton    
 
18 Karri Rise, Pemberton (Pemberton Timber Mill Workers’ Cottages Precinct)
$17,050

Place Number: 11381
Residences within the Pemberton Timber Mill Worker’s Cottages Precinct were built between 1913 and 1951 to house workers at the State Saw Mills, which operated until 1961. The residences continued to be used as a mill workers’ precinct under different companies until 2002. This historic precinct is rare as a large collection of relatively intact timber mill workers cottages. The grant will assist in re-stumping the 1920s house.        
Stirling Terrace, Albany recipients
 Street view of Drew Robinson & Co Building

Former Drew Robinson & Co Building (1891) 104-106 Stirling Terrace
$57,600

Also known as the Sandover & Co store, the Drew Robinson and Co department store used to boast that ‘Every ship that comes to Albany is laden with cargo for Us’. The grant will assist with painting the façade and verandah; installing a new verandah roof; and repairing cracks and downpipes.

                                                                                                                     

 Street view of White Star Hotel
White Star Hotel (1910)

$52,788

The grant will assist in undertaking general conservation work and repairs; and a Conservation Management Plan to assist in planning for further restoration of this hotel. The name of the hotel recognised the importance of the White Star shopping line that was one of the passenger and freight shipping companies that operated out of Albany.

 street view of Everett Buildings


Everett Buildings (1908)

$41,156 
Now operating as the Albany Backpackers, the grant will assist with painting the façade, installing new windows and verandah, and general conservation work.

 Street view of Argyle House
Argyle House (1890s)

$28,865

Constructed in a style matching the adjacent Edinburgh and Glasgow houses, the grant will assist with painting, installing new verandah and windows, and general conservation work.

 Street view of Glascow House
Glasgow House (1882)

$26,148
Built for merchant Alexander Moir, the grant will assist in painting, installing a new verandah and windows, and general conservation.

 
 Street view of Royal George Hotel Royal George Hotel (1885, 1910)
$23,971
Built on the site of the former home of Alexander Moir and thought to include some of the original structure of Aberdeen House, the hotel first operated as the Railway Hotel and then as the Royal George. The grant will assist with painting the façade, installing new windows, and general conservation work.

 
 Street view of former Western Australian Bank
Former Western Australian Bank (1891)

$19,525
Originally built for the Commercial Bank of Australia, the former Western Australian Bank has been used for a range of purposes including legal offices and the Great Southern Development Commission. The grant will assist with painting, and general conservation work.
 
 street view of former Drew Robinson& Co building
Former Drew Robinson & Co Building (1891)
130-140 Stirling Terrace  
$17,750
Now Rivers Supermarket, the building has operated as a department store throughout its life including as a Boans store. The grant will assist with painting its façade.
 
 Street view of Edward Barnett & Co Building
Edward Barnett & Co Building (1888)

$15,400
Also known as The Terrace Centre, the grant will assist with painting, general conservation and plumbing works.
 
                               
Edinburgh House (1882)

$6,560
Along with Glasgow House, Edinburgh House was built for merchant Alexander Moir and once housed chemist. The grant will assist with painting and installing new windows.
             
 
Dylan’s on the Terrace (1880s)

$4,730
Dylan’s on the Terrace has had a colourful history. Original owned by John McKail and Co, it has operated as Victor Elliott, Hairdresser and Tobacconist; the King’s Albany Hostel; Tom the Cheap grocer; the Crystal Café; and was even the home of the Albany Light Opera Company. Saved from demolition in 1978, it has operated as Dylan’s on the Terrace Restaurant and Café since 1987. The grant will assist with painting the façade.
 
 Street view of former National Australia Bank
Former National Bank (1881)

$3,700
Once known as Vancouver House and Vancouver Guest House, the building was originally built for the National Bank. It now operates as the Albany Foreshore Guest House. The grant will assist in painting its front façade.
inHerit - an online portal for heritage listings

Contact Us

Our Office hours are from Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.


View Larger Map


Heritage is integral to the vibrant life and prosperity of Western Australia.
General Enquiries

Level 2, 491 Wellington Street, Perth WA 6000

Locked Bag 2506
PERTH WA 6001

T: (08) 6551 8002
Freecall (regional): 1800 52 4000
F: (08) 6552 4001
info@dplh.wa.gov.au

Follow Us
@StateHeritage